With an unexpected day off, I always like to spend my morning baking. When flipping through our large collection of cookbooks the other day, I found a recipe for homemade pretzels. Although they sounded a little daunting, I was up for the challenge! :) Bursting with chocolate flavor and a light, fluffy dough, these pretzels are all sorts of amazing. Quite puffy and huge, they are very filling, and awfully tasty. Because of the amount of time it takes the dough to rise, you’ll need to put aside a few hours for this recipe, but believe me, it’s worth it!
Chocolate Chip Pretzels Adapted from both The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook and Williams Sonoma’s Kids Baking Cookbook
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup chocolate chunks, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon orange juice
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- Whisk together the milk and yeast together in a small bowl.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer, mix together the flour, sugar and sale. Add the eggs and yeast mixture, and beat for five minutes.
- Stir in the butter in two halves, mixing well after each addition.
- Switch to the dough hook, and knead the dough for five minutes.
- Add the chocolate and orange juice to the dough.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, and let rest for at least 2 hours, or until almost doubled.
- After two hours, preheat the oven to 350º and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into seven to eight pieces. Working one piece at a time, roll the dough into an 18-inch long rod or “snake.” :)
- Form the rod into a circle, then make a full twist to close it off. Fold the twist down so it looks like a pretzel.
- Repeat until all dough is used, and transfer them to the prepared baking sheets.
- Brush the pretzels with the glaze, and let rest for 10 minutes, so they can puff up. Brush them with glaze again.
- Bake for 13 minutes, switching sheets halfway through. Let cool before eating, and enjoy!
Have a lovely day!