With the abundance of leftover Easter candy and goodies I ate this past week, homemade baked goods are far from my mind. Hopefully, when I am once again in the baking mood, I can whip up this delicious banana bread once again! I made this recipe a few weeks ago, and I was surprised to find out how much I enjoyed it. Double chocolate desserts and breakfast foods, whether it’s muffins, cookies, or bread, tend to be rich and instantly filling. This was the case here, but with a glass of milk and some fresh fruit on the side, it worked as a lovely breakfast treat. Before putting the pan in the oven, I sprinkled some more chocolate chips on top, because one, you can never have too much chocolate, and two, it added a nice finishing touch to the bread. Chocolate and bananas have never tasted so good :)
Double Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe from Smitten Kitchen
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Mash bananas in a large bowl. Combine the bananas with the melted butter.
- Add the brown sugar, egg, and vanilla to the mixture.
- Slowly mix the wet ingredients with the baking soda, salt, cinnamon, flour, and cocoa powder, taking care not to over mix.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Grease a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan. Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes; a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for fifteen minutes before letting it cool on a wire rack.
- Cut, serve, and enjoy!
Have a terrific night!