After a month of cookies just about everywhere, I often find it a bit difficult to get back in my usual baking routine once January hits. However, with Pinterest handy, I have been keeping a few recipes on hand when I hit a baking rut. I actually took note of this variation on the classic chocolate chip cookie when it was first posted in early December, and I was excited to try it out with my own favorite filling, chocolate peanut butter! As the original recipe states, you can substitute your own preference for the filling; I think regular creamy peanut butter would be just as good, as a chocolate hazelnut spread. Another fun option might be Trader Joe’s Cocoa Swirl Cookie Butter, which I’m still obsessed with.
One other note: I knew that my entire family might not go for the chocolate peanut butter filling, so I divided the dough in half before stuffing, and made regular cookies with one portion. This extra step is super easy to do and will help please any friend or family member!
Alright then. Let’s get started, yes?! :)
Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies Adapted from Love and Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup chocolate peanut butter
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drop 1/2 teaspoon spoonfuls of chocolate peanut butter on the sheet. Freeze until needed later in the recipe, at least fifteen minutes.
- Cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar in a large bowl using an electric mixer. The mixture should be light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined.
- Mix in the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flour.
- Stir in the chocolate chips using a wooden spoon.
- Line two more baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out rounds of dough. With each spoonful, divide the ball in half, and place one of the frozen dollops of chocolate peanut butter in the center of a half, and place the other half on top. Basically, it is a sandwich :) Press to seal in the filling, and repeat with the other rounds of dough.
- Arrange the cookies in three rows of three on each baking sheet, because the cookies will spread out quite a bit.
- Bake for 12 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, or until the edges are golden brown.
- Let the cookies cool on sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Yum!
Have a wonderful night!