On a recent vacation, I had a scone for breakfast, and I fell in love with the tasty treat. Flaky, sweet, and probably not very healthy, scones are the perfect thing to have when you are in the mood to treat yourself! When I got home from my trip, I was determined to make homemade scones, and I was happy to find a recipe that lets you enjoy them in less than thirty minutes :) I omitted the glaze because I felt that the scones would be just as delicious without it, but feel free to add it back in. I also added a bit more chocolate, because who doesn’t like more chocolate?! This recipe has definitely made my go-to list, and I can’t wait to make some more!
Chocolate Chip Scones Adapted from Ellie Be
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup half-and-half or heavy cream
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Mix together the flours, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Divide the butter into small cubes, and cut it into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter, two knives, or your hands.
- Add in the half-and-half/cream and the egg.
- Stir in the chocolate chips. Using a wooden spoon, mix until the dough holds together and the dry ingredients are moistened. It barely holds together, so don’t be alarmed! If anything, be sure not to over mix.
- Shape the dough into a 6 by 9 inch rectangle.
- Cut the rectangle into six squares. Then, cut each square diagonally so you have twelve triangles.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Place scones on sheet, and bake for fifteen minutes.
- Scones will be golden. Let cool before serving, and enjoy!
Have a terrific night!