I am not a huge fan of Thanksgiving food, but one of the things I do like is my mom’s homemade Cranberry Relish. Mixed with the tart taste of Granny Smith apples, the sauce is perfect for complementing your turkey. You may have some left over, so I like adding it in my turkey sandwich or mixing a spoonful of it in vanilla yogurt the following week. Whatever the tastes of your family, this is something that they will all enjoy! :)
Cranberry-Apple Relish adapted from the November 2001 issue of Cooking Light
- 1 1/2 cups chopped peeled Granny Smith apples (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white grape juice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (12-ounce) package fresh cranberries
- A bit of orange zest
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thick (about 15 minutes), stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
Have a wonderful day!